View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 04:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I didn't really associated gluten free with brain fog and anit-inflammatory benefits until my doctor noticed I kept having sinus infections and mentioned I should try it.

I'm glad she did. THe benefits for me were instantaneous. I think gluten free, like head injuries, really are person specific. But having said that, if they are going to work, the benefits will reveal themselves within 6 weeks and are worth it. This is different than those who are suffering from celiac disease, a true allergy to gluten.

There are numerous books, and I worked with an auto-immune paleo book as well as gluten free to maximize my changing diet lifestyle which seemed to help.

My rationale was that by switching to brain boosting fats and minimizing the glutens that slow down the body I would help my body heal as much as possible. I feel better.

But, I am now almost two years since the accident in two weeks. My vision is still problematic, but I can tell my cognition is clearer.

My neurologist and neuro-opthalmologist still have not released me back to work, but I guess my daily life at home is better. I am healthier with my kids and husband.

So in some ways- in balance - I am glad I am on this diet- because my brain feels clearer and my body healthier. There are new "flours" to bake with (I haven't lost my sweet tooth) and coconut oil is awesome.

As with PCS/mtbi-there are new realities out there!
s

Post-event: Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, ptsd, whiplash, peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. MRI/CT scans fine.

Symptoms: daily headaches, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, cognitive fog, light/noise sensitivities, anxiety/irritability, fatigued, convergence insufficiency, tinnitus and numbness in arms/legs.

Therapies: Now topamax 50mg daily; Propanolol and Tramadol when migraine. Off nortryptiline and trazodone. Accupuncture. Vitamin regime. Prism glasses/vision therapy. Vestibular therapy 3month. Gluten free diet. Dairy free diet. On sick leave from teaching until Sept. 2014.
berkeleybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (07-14-2014)