View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello ivylynn,

I too have the Hallux Rigidus. It's in my left big toe and it was the start of my osteoarthritis journey.

Mine started in 1999. Dr's have put cortisone shots in it. I have had surgery on it to clean out the arthritis. They too talked to me about having surgery to fuse it permanently.

I refused. Said that since the big toe is our stablizer in standing, I didn't want the risk of making my walking worse. I have had pain and issues in walking as I tend to walk on the side of my foot causing my spine to be out of alignment.

The big toe gives me great pains sometimes and since 1999, I have developed OA in most of my major joints.

I go to a chiropractor for misalignments in my neck and spine and it seems to help in my walking. While there is no cure for OA, I find that my chiropractor helps me more than the meds the dr's want to give me.

I am on pain and nerve meds, (ultram and neurontin), as another poster had said the pain relieving gels like biofreeze and salonpas does help.

I now wonder if I had my toe taken care of back in 99, would I have had all this trouble with my joints elsewhere now in my 50's. UGG

What I found is that you have to find what works for you, trying the trial and error route and or the good old stand by .... doing nothing and live with it.

My pain level is high so I am not the norm here like most people. Not sure if it a good thing or a bad thing, lol.

Praying that you find relief for your pain and know that we are here for you even if it just to vent.

God Bless You and here is a for you!

Last edited by Strhuntrss; 07-15-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: misspelled biofreeze
Strhuntrss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote