View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

bluesfan

I'm so sorry you might have TN and that you have a autoimmune illness as well.

I actually had minor symptoms of Sjogrens Syndrome, until a dentist pulled my tooth and put in a graph in preparation for a dental implant.

My entire life/world turned upside down as the result of dental mishaps and/or dental greed. I can't warn people enough of the dangers out there.

Originally, I went to a dentist for an onlay. Lots of mess ups and continued inappropriate care.
In an effort to stop the pain, I agreed to a root canal (made things worse) and then agreed to removal of my tooth. Finally, an oral surgeon/MD carefully revealed to me that I likely had TN caused by the original dentist and needed to see a neurologist.

A greedy dentist who says he is affiliated with that holistic group (will try to get the initials later) is the one who pulled the tooth. No doubt, it should have been an oral surgeon. Just pulling the tooth was stupid. Putting in the graph was even stupider. My guess, he knew this.

I started to physically not feel well (this is on top of severe, heavy duty pain!) Then, when he put in the graph OMG, I got super duper sick. I got a relentless fever, dry mouth and just felt sickly. I was on antibiotic after antibiotic. After many weeks, I removed the graph and almost instantly, the fever abated. BUT, during the turmoil discovered that I had Sjogren's Syndrome. And, interestingly, SS Symptoms were now coming in at 100 mph.

No doubt there are good dentists out there, but I am amazed at how many dentists get away with inappropriate care.

To my shock, I discovered many others who after simple dental procedures are left with a lifetime of pain from Trigeminal Neuralgia. I honestly believe that in my case, it was inappropriate treatment. I think in other cases, it is just an unfortunate result. But what irks me to no end is how many dentists do not know about TN, don't care to know about TN, don't consider TN...etc.

I am doing my best to learn about EXCELLENT dental hygiene. One of my SS acquaintances (she is in her 80s!!!!!) has been through A LOT! She had to have an implant and I believe she was able to do it without a graph. She found an outstanding oral surgeon that specializes in implants. She tells me repeatedly that I have to find an A+ dentist and oral surgeon and to ask around constantly about who has the best reputation as this is urgent. She also told me that since she has been doing the following...she has had little to no problems with cavities, etc.:
1. Brushing three times a day 2. Flossing every night 3. Water Pik every night (or at least close to it)
4. Professional cleanings three times a year 5. Eat well/eliminate sugar from diet

Others have told me to rinse daily with water and and a little baking soda (on top of excellent dental hygiene).

Bottom line: avoid the dentist like the plague (and avoid plaque too!) (See, I still have a tiny bit of a sense of humor left)

I go to a TN group on face book and other sites. It is good to get support. The TN site here is also helpful. It is a very difficult experience. I just discovered a possible helpful product when the pain is within the mouth, for occasional use:
Blistex Kanka Soft Brush tooth/Mouth Pain Gel (professional strength)
It seems to be a brush with lidocaine on it for use within the mouth!
Seems some TN folks use it at times when they have pain in the mouth area.
Available at Amazon. I've ordered it to add to my arsenal.

I hope you are able to get to a good neurologist soon to make a final determination to see if you have Trigeminal Neuralgia or what is sometimes called Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia. My doctor and I had to do a lot of experimentation with different medications and although I still have breakthrough pain and periods of time that are very rough, I do have many more good days now with proper medication on board. Sending good thoughts.

Wishing you well!

Last edited by Vowel Lady; 07-17-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote