Thread: The Nest
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
They are really FAST too. We used to have them all the time, and they lived under the bridges along with creek where the roads go over them...but then there was huge construction on a new sewer system and big machines scared them away.

You could stand in the street, and they would be zooming overhead eating bugs like mosquitoes etc. Our tree cover is very high (old oaks), so the street was like a tunnel for them. They remind me of the bats upNorth, which are also very fast when they swoop down to catch mosquitoes. Only the bats come closer to your head than the swallows do.

This is a woods where we live...a little oasis of woods in a busy city. I wonder how the small feathers would do here. Not much in the way of sources available like on farmlands etc.
They are wonderful flyers, skilful enough to snatch insects out of the air. I love to watch them over parks and playing fields, they fly on e to two feet above the grass feeding on insects that have been disturbed by people walking over the grass.

You must have different species of bats to us, ours never come close - I also like watching bats, at this time of year we get a good few in the twilight.
The Bad Cormorant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-18-2014)