View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Yeah.. I wouldn't think conversion disorder either... It's not the same as being a hypochondriac, which is also a true disorder... And from my understanding it generally picks 1 'area' of attack and wouldn't become progressive in a sense, and after 15 years of looking for an answer you would think a pattern or trigger would stand out.... The legs stiffen up before a test while in college, in large groups of people, moments of heightened emotion, or after eating, smelling or seeing something that might remind you a trauma you didn't know you had...

They might be small things, but if you've been wracking your brain to figure it out even if not for the past fifteen years, but in more recent years, it's probable something would have 'stuck out'. But improving some with PT, and receiving some benefits from medication, is a bit too much to call a placebo effect, as the mind should have run with it when benefits were seen.

My SIL has conversion disorder, hers attacks the digestive tract, it took a few attacks, some almost life-threatening, but after a bit the doctors were able to diagnosis it, she was initially treated with placebos, improved remarkably... Then it was ah-hah, now what happened before each attack? Money issues, money issues, money issues... Her treatment is let my DB handle the finances, stay out of it. She's been fine for three years now, it doesn't make her crazy, or mentally ill, she just physically can't handle the stress when it comes to money, and knows she needs to talk to people when she starts to worry even staying out of the family finances.
Starznight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BackwardPawn (07-19-2014), Judy2 (07-19-2014), SallyC (07-18-2014)