Thread: New here......
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVallonio View Post
Thank you Sue. I think one of my main questions is......is it possible to never have another seizure? Is it possible that I had this because I was sick, or something like that? Why, at 41 would I all of a sudden have epilepsy? I spend my days feeling sorry for myself. Like I need a babysitter.....as if I have zero independence. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop....for the next one to arrive. And this makes me feel like the lowest person on the planet. Here there are people who suffer through this all their lives, how dare I complain? I'm a little lost I guess.
Not Sue but... there are a lot of people who have one seizure and never another but after two, the odds get worse. Think of everyone as having the possibility of a seizure, sometimes illness, injury, drugs or hormone changes can lower one's seizure threshold, but often they don't figure out why they start. You really aren't alone in this... one in ten people have a seizure, one in twenty-six have epilepsy. It is actually more common than many people realize. So an MRI may show nothing and an EEG might not show anything (repeated EEGs and EEGs that include sleep or take days increase the chances of finding something - they signed you up for an EEG that includes you sleeping, right?). Learn about the tests that are used, read about basic seizure info, don't be afraid to ask questions, at some point they should have an idea about the diagnosis, etc.. It was good thinking to record it, very helpful. You may not have another seizure on medication, many people get seizure control with their first drug. I know it is a shock (it is a shock for anyone who is old enough to understand, it takes a while to get over that initial shock but it sounds like you won't be letting this stop you from living for too long). There is a lot they can't know until they do those initial tests and if those look ok, they may have to wait to see how you do. Take care of yourself.
pogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote