Thread: New here......
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi CVallonio,

pogo gave you some great info. Sometimes a person doesn't start having sz. until they are going through their change in life and this causes the hormones to change which can sometimes trigger sz. for some people. The main things that can cause epilepsy are the following: genetics, a bad blow to the head, brain tumor, scar tissue on the brain, drug or alcohol abuse, brain damage, a bad scare, trauma, or tramatic brain injury sometimes a concussion also. These are a few things that can cause epilepsy.
The reason why you are probably feeling down or sorry for yourself is because epilepsy can cause depression and the medication can also cause depression. What's kept me going for yrs. is looking at the famous people who have epilepsy like Einstein, Elton John, Agatha Christy, Danny Glover and retired football player for the NY Jets Alan Faneca. Alan has had epilepsy since the age of 14 but he went on the be a professional football player and I think that's great.
I have also found that being on the ketogenic diet which is similar to the Adkins diet has done a great job reducing my sz. The diet is high in fat but low in carbs and starch foods. You should cut yourself back on these foods and stay away from NutraSweet (diet soda) that is known to cause more electrical activity in the brain and trigger sz. for some people. I found that out after drinking diet soda and having sz. after sz. Yes, a person can have a sz. when they are sick that's when I have most of my sz.
Try and keep yourself busy and you will have less time to think about the chances of epilepsy. I have a cousin who had grand mal (tonic clonic) sz. in her teens but once she was in her 50's here sz. stopped and she never had a sz. again. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote