View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi, Steve. Welcome.

The issue that most knee replacement surgeons are concerned about is infection. Cellcept might be out of your system in a relatively short period of time, but the immunosuppressive effect won't be.

Have your doctors periodically checked your blood cell counts and liver/kidney function?

Has anyone discussed using antibiotics before and after surgery, such as a regular dose before and after and then following up with a longer, low dose?

Sometimes, doctors are the ones who need reassuring. They don't want to hurt patients and might be afraid of doing so. And sometimes that gets in the way of them doing something instead of thinking about options that might help.

How have you historically been with healing? I mean, if you get a cut, do you heal quickly? I know the Cellcept can interfere with that, but it does help if you were a good healer to begin with.

You can also do things such as taking vitamin C daily, having enough fish, getting plenty of sleep (which in and of itself is healing), etc. There are many studies showing that those, and other measures, can help with healing.

You sound as though you're a good advocate for yourself and want a sensible solution. Second opinions are useful, too. Maybe you could speak to an internist or an infectious disease doctor about this.

The hardest part of a knee replacement is the necessary therapy afterwards. And the pain, and the pain meds that can make MG worse. It might help if that's done in an in-patient care facility for the first couple of weeks. They can keep an eye on your knee and on your overall health. Post-op therapy is crucial to the success of a knee replacement.

I hope the surgery goes great. It might take more finesse to make it successful, but it isn't impossible!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon6618 (07-22-2014)