View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Question about making money while on (or applying for) disability

Hi folks,

I am in the never ending process of the circus that is SSDI. I am waiting for a hearing date at this point and confident that I will be awarded SSDI.

Suddenly though, there is a possible issue. As I sat home, unable to work and barely able to care for myself - I decided that I needed to do something before depression became a serious factor. I decided to write. It wasn't steady - two or three hours at a time was about my limit, though there were days that I'd put in multiple sessions after a nap or rest. Twenty nine days later I stopped writing on page 355. I had written a novel.

No sense writing a novel and sticking it into a drawer I figured, so I sent it out to a publisher. Rather than the rejection letter I expected in four to six weeks, I got an e-mail back four days later complaining of the nights sleep I cost the him when he couldn't put it down. He wants it. There's a contract on the way and the advance is generous.

So, am I employed now? Is this considered work? When I went to the state to see if I could be retrained in the early stages of this disease, I asked about writing and they said that no, writing was 'art' not work. Ultimately, does this completely throw a wrench into disability?
angell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote