View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodFlower View Post
I have a Friend who is a Former Vet who gets partial disability from his veteran's pension, and a small amount of Supplemental Security Income since his VA pension only comes to a little over 500.00 a month. He was appointed his payee upon getting these benefits however three years ago he was scammed and he his current payee who is his mother went with him to the Social Security Administration, and had him appoint her payee saying that he was going to be what she called blackballed from being his own payee for ten years anyways. The went ahead at his request to place her over his benefits the information that he told me he did not disclose to the Social Security Administration, about his mother saying that he was getting so called black balled and could not longer be his payee soon and would need a payee for ten years. Which I understand her wanting to protect her son after he was scammed out of money, however to lie about it was horrible, and now he is wanting to be his own payee since he found out that he was never so called blackballed in the first place. My question is will he have a hard time getting her removed as his payee and becoming his own payee again since he was not required to have a payee to began with and had her placed as a payee on his own. I do not want him to struggle I understand as to why he would want to be over his own disability especially with recent events of being lied to about how much he actually got, as well as he is close to getting his full VA benefits and does not want to be manipulated about how much he is actually getting. If anyone can clarify this for me I would be grateful.
If he needs a payee and doesn't like the current payee, there should be an agency who will manage his benefits for a small fee. They will be bonded and/or insured and will keep ledgers on what has been received and what has been paid. The local office can give him a list of approved payee agencies. They will create a budget and pay his rent and give him spending money throughout the month.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote