View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am sorry you have CVS. I realize that it is not the same as Bulimia. But I can't help but wonder if the constant vomiting (whether it be from CVS or Bulimia) relates to RSD somehow. And as for sticking one's hand down their throat to vomit, that is incorrect. It was just one finger. And after a while you don't even need that. You can vomit by just bending over a toilet and thinking about it. It's sad but very true. I am not comparing CVS and Bulimia for I know that CVS is not self induced and Bulimia is. I had Bulimia for a few years in high school when my Grandmother was dying. She lived with us all my life and was my best friend. She died after a long and gruesome death from rhuematoid arthritis. It was horrible to see and not be able to help her. I saw her when she passed in the hospital. Her one foot was so bad from the RA that it turned black from gangreen. I will never forget the way she looked that last time as I kissed her goodbye. Yes, Bulimia is a mental illness. It comes from not being able to control outside factors in our lives (like seeing my grandmother die from RA). Bulimia was a way of gaining control of something in my life, during a time where I had no control of helping my grandmother get better from RA. Bulimia is also a way of causing physical pain to oneself by vomiting, so that it distracts the person from the emotional pain they are going through (like me seeing my grandmother dying before my eyes.) I sought professional help and got control of it. I am no longer Bulimic, but my teeth have suffered from it. I have also suffered from clinical depression which is worse because of rsd. And though bulimia is self induced, it is sort of like being an alcoholic. You can't control it any more then an alcoholic can control their drinking. It is a form of clinical depression and OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder which I also have had since I was a kid). I am sorry you have CVS. It must be horrible to not be able to control it. But please understand that it is very hard to control bulimia without the proper professional help. I luckily got professional help but it took a long time to get control of it. It is a horrible illness to have. It's not like CVS which is a physical illness. But it is a mental illness that causes physical harm. I urge anyone who has bulimia to get professional help so that they don't die from it. Yes, it can be that serious. And I also urge anyone who has bulimia to not be embarrassed from it. It is a mental illness that comes from living through a traumatic event that we cannot control. It's not about loosing weight and looking good. It goes much deeper than that. I am sorry you have CVS on top of RSD and hope that you feel better soon too. I wish you a low pain day as well. Take care.

P.S. A health care provider may prescribe the following medications for both children and adults during the well phase to prevent cyclic vomiting syndrome episodes, lessen their severity, and reduce their frequency:
amitriptyline (Elavil)
propranolol (Inderal)
cyproheptadine (Periactin)
Maybe you can check with your doctor to see if these meds to help control your CVS. I hope that maybe they can help or maybe some other meds your dr can prescribe can help. Take care.

Last edited by RSD ME; 07-24-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.
RSD ME is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (07-30-2014)