View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 03:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation syndrome to seizures

greetings, everyone -- I wanted to tell my story here where I am really happy to be a part of a larger community!
I believe my seizures really were triggered through and by an illness that I contracted several years earlier .... This all began a number of years ago, in my late twenties (I'm now in my late fifties).
One day I came down with a cold that seemed to drift down into my nerves and muscles, thereby making them kind of numb. I could still function fine -- even my mind seemed as sharp (or dull!) as ever -- but admittedly my feelings seemed much reduced and kind of cutoff. Oh well, I just kind of went through life like that, but it was weird and very, very frustrating. I could have done more to seek medical help, but I just didn't think there was any solution .....
I have learned since that what happened to me is described under the umbrella term, GUILLAIN BARRE SYNDROME.
At any rate, I kind of drifted on like this, went to school and even worked some. But about four or five years after coming down with this, all of a sudden my brain started to go on the fritz, and for about six months I was pretty loose in terms of remembering things day to day, and then I started having seizures. It took me a while to seek help for them, as I thought they were as unique as my illness. But finally I did get diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy and started on tegretol. I was pretty controled at first, but the seizures came back, and really I can't say I've been under control for a number of years now. I've settled down into a rhythm of complex partial seizures pretty regularly every week to ten days. (I now also take gabapentin.)
It's OK when I have them at home which is most of the time; not so good when I have them on the subway!!
The good news is that the numbness in my muscles and nerves has dissipated with time -- though it's been a long struggle and to me it's clearly been a kind of viral illness - the Guillain Barre Syndrome. If you read about it, people often get over it.
But I don't ever expect to get over the seizures. It's possible, but I doubt it.
Anyway, it's very exciting for me to share my story with you here. I'm sure it's no more interesting than all of your stories, but I am interested to see whether anyone can relate to the link between the syndrome and the seizures
which is so clear in my mind. I could just really feel kind of feel the numbness in my muscles and nerves go up my cerebral cortex into my brain and lodge itself there ......
jimbob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote