View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default cervical spinal fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodiB View Post
Help Anyone go through an anterior/posterior cervical fusion?
I am facing anterior and posterior cervical decompression and fusion C3-C7 on August 12th and am scared to death. What should I expect? I have suffered severe chronic pain for over 20 years, with the last two becoming unbearable with the addition of neurological issues.

No one believed me. I never had an MRI until 1 month ago. I was told many times that there was nothing wrong with me...I just wanted drugs...you could not possibly hurt that bad...try meditation.

Finally found a doctor who listened. MRI results (short form):
Mild levoconvex cervical scoliosis, apex C4.
Grade I retrolisthes of C3 on C4.
A syrinx which extends from C2-T9 and is 4-6mm.
Facet degeneration and hypertrophy.
C4-C5 Large posterior disc bulge. Severe spinal stenosis. Severe right foraminal narrowing. Moderate left foraminal narrowing.
C5-C6 Posterior osteophyte. Mild spinal canal narrowing. Moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
C6-C7 Posterior disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left with a left foraminal component. Mild spinal stenosis. Moderate left foraminal narrowing.

Would love to hear from anyone who has undergone this 2 part surgery...
I had c4_6 fused with bone from my hip and a plate and screws in 2006. It was a pretty mild recovery, not bad at all. I was able to get off allbpain meds till 2008. They had to do a posterior laminectomy to clen some stuff up. I was then good again till 2012. Went the morphine and oxy route till july 18th 2014. I am recovering now from having the medtronics neuro stimulator implanted . Very painful recover. The trial was great. Waiting to see, hope this is it for me. No more pain and no more narcotics is my goal! Dont be scared, hopefully this will be the only surgery you will neer. I know many people that only needed the fusion and have been fine for 20 plus years. Good luck!
meg315 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote