View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Good morning Virginia :)

I have been on gaba for approx. a year for severe small fiber neuropathy. I had gotten up to 2400 mg a day and it was making me hear voices...weird....neuro took me back down to 1800 mg which I am still on. He asked me around Christmas time if the gaba was helping. I told him this was all new to me and I had no way of knowing really unless I stopped taking it. A few months later he decided to take me off the gaba and try Lyrica. Lyrica gave me a horrible stomach ache and he took me off it after 3 weeks to make sure it was the Lyrica. I went without gaba for over 6 weeks and I knew then that it was working some to relieve my symptoms which are just about anything you see listed as symptoms I had been using 1/2 a vicodine every 3 to 4 hours since Sept of 2013 and that was just not cutting it being off the gaba. I had to go up to a whole pain pill (I'm on 7.5) to get any type of relief. Even though I am back up to 1800 mg I have not been able to go back to 1/2 a pain pill. I'm thinking my body is getting use to vicodine and is not working as well now.

If you decide to take it you will have to get use to the titrating up to see how much might work for you (or not) and along with that comes dizziness and the like but it does go away. He was titrating me up every week but I asked if I could do every 2 weeks instead and he was fine with that. The symptoms of the gaba lasted about 4 days but I needed those extra days to get ready for the next increase.

As you stated everyone has diff reactions to meds. I hope this info helps you. My journey is just beginning on this difficult road and I will be seeing a neuro at Emory in Atlanta on Sept 9th.

Please keep us posted on what you decide

Debi from Georgia
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon1028 (07-30-2014), Susanne C. (07-30-2014)