View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gabapentin or not

Thanks to all of you who responded to my request related to Gabapentin. I have always been extremely reluctant to take ANY medication...and this one is no exception...and, in fact, I actually am fearful about taking it. From what I was able to determine from your responses, it's a question of getting some relief with the possible issue of uncertain and unpleasant side effects...something that I'll have to wrestle with. Susanne C...if symptoms seem to be just a nuisance, I may want to put Gaba off for a while. I discussed this with my new internist this past Tuesday, and she more or less agreed w/this...even suggested that I start w/Tramadol for pain (but, to be very careful about constipation). I was given Tramadol when I was in the hospital in January for a broken hip so that wouldn't be new to me and I just might feel more comfortable using something more familiar to me than the Gaba. Groucho...you mentioned Tramadol, too. How does that "work"for you? You also mentioned "decent days"...that's exactly how I would describe my days at this point, Groucho...so thankful for "decent days"...just wondering if I should consider these to be just "nuisance days"...but, then, when I do have the burning, pain and stiffness, I probably should consider trying the Gaba. Maybe I'll just start using the Tramadol to start. As you can see, I have a dilemma. Dac122 and Mike K. switched to Gralise...had been taking Gaba...how would you compare it to Gaba? Effectiveness? Side effects?

Again, thank you to all...Susanne C, Markneil 1212, Groucho, Debi, Dac 122, Mike K, Cholecasey and IllPn (hope I didn't omit anyone)...I appreciate the input from all of you...now, I just have to decide what I should do. If the pain and burning becomes intolerable, I guess I will just have to opt to try the Gaba. I have been suffering with this for 2 years...had an internist who did nothing to pursue it...told me it was arthritis...and, when I asked if it could be Neuropathy, his response was: "Yes..it could be, but there's nothing you can do about that." I should have moved on to another internist at that time. I just hope this hasn't gotten such a "hold"on me that there will be very little that can be done for me. I have read that if/when this is "caught"early, the chances for getting relief are better. Hopefully, I will still be able to get some relief. I also hope that all of you will get the relief you need.

Thank you...Virginia Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote