Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
wave,

Keep in mind that markneil is 350 pounds. It may be a part of why such a high dose is needed and well tolerated.

I am 150+ pounds and have taken up to 1200 mgs before bed. At first, I needed 1200 or at least 900. Now, I do fine with 600.
Hi Mark!

Seems to me also that weight would be a factor in overall dosing as this med is heavily distributed in tissues (diffuses out of the blood). But I do know of people over 200 lbs and use only 600-900 successfully.

However, an increase of 900mg at a time is steep even if one is heavy, and could certainly bring on a potent sleepiness.

The thing I was saying about dose is only about absorption. Higher than 1800 studies show that dose/response rate loses linearity. For instance, increases from 1200 to 1800mg, or from 1800 to 2400 mg, are both 600 mg. But in the latter case, a bit less of the med is going to get "delivered" and as you increase further, less and less of it gets "delivered". Not sure if that's clear I'll try to find you a link tomorrow. (I need to get to bed!)

I take gabapentin myself... have on and off for years -- 1200mg for migraine prevention. And sometimes other things.

Quote:
I take it to reduce the body jerks and to help my mind let go of thinking.
Yes, it's good with the letting go of thinking... can be a little "too good" that way. (When I was on another med along with it, I couldn't handle it.... I couldn't think straight to do my job. )

Quote:
Its half-life is only 8 hours so unless it is taken multiple times during the day, its benefit can be targeted at sleep issues.
Interesting. I used to keep it as a sleep aid, but it only worked if I didn't use it with any sort of regularity. In other words, I got used to the sedation quite quickly. I don't know, but I wouldn't want to take a really steep dose on an occasional basis... I'd be afraid of seizures when it leaves the system.

The half-life is misleading becausee this thing has crazy pharmacokinetics.
It takes several hours just to be absorbed (3-5 hours). I notice this when I start taking it... start feeling brainfuzz and sleepiness at about 5 hours after each dose.)

And then, it doesn't stay in the blood it migrates into tissues... body fat.

All in all, the slow absorption means plasma concentration risees very slowly, and then the tissue distribution means it falls off somewhat more rapidly than the half-life suggests as it permeates into body fat.

waves... who will check back tomorrow and try to find you some links that maybe explain better if you like. Or maybe I misunderstood you and you already knew these things. Nite nite for now.
waves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-02-2014), Sitke (08-02-2014)