Thread: B12 questions
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default B12 questions

Been reading through the board here and saw a few B12 threads. But have a few questions I didn't find answers for.

The last few months I've had some muscle twitching, numbing/tingling sensations in feet and hands, and even occasional lightheadedness, etc... went to doc and blood test was good except for B12. I am low to mid 300's. (funny I had another doc telling me the low B12 isnt really a concern but as I've researched it, a lot of my symptoms can be explained by this so I'm hoping this is it).

Anyways my new doc did think it was a concern and gave me a B12 shot yesterday. Supposed to do one a week for the next month. Its a 1000mcg shot. I asked about taking B12 pills and was told I could but it may not help me since she doesnt think my body is absorbing it hence causing the deficiency. As I've researched it sounds like if I do the sublingual then I might be able to absorb it better.

So my question is, for some at my current level of B12, would a 1000mcg sublingual suffice? Would I be better off doing 5000mcg to get my levels up and then cutting back? Or maybe somewhere in between like 2500? Is there any fear with 5000?

If I were to do 1000 or 5000 (or somewhere in between), how often should I take them? Once a day? Multiple times? What would be a good regiment?

After researching, sounds like I should use methyl- instead of the cyna- version of B12. But what is a good brand to use? I ran over to whole foods this morning and saw a variety. Jarrow. Solgar. etc... Is there a particular one that is better than others?

One more, not sure if there is a great answer for this, but I was reading that if you swallow a pill, you may only absorb a small percentage of the B12. However what if you do a sublingual? Is 30% of the B12 making it into the bloodstream? 50%? And if I'm doing 1000mcg sublingual and only 50% makes it into the bloodstream, is it half as effective as the 1000mcg shot I took yesterday?

Thanks for the help! Sure hoping this will fix my issues. If nothing else I at least feel like I have a possible answer and can get in a positive frame of mind which can be half the battle.
flback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-02-2014)