View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Western Medicine Model not Suited to Treating Parkinson's Patients

My great interest in Parkinson's disease began only recently when my loved one suddenly after years of taking Parkinson's medications on a slow slide to pill dependency took a crash all on one day...we find that he had been mistaking his meds either forgetting comletely or doubling up. Also, I know find that most of his problems are now drug related rather than Parkinson's related. After switching doctors due to try to get a better opinion and get answers, I am left with more of the same. A man's life, quality of life is defined moment to moment and can't be understood in a sterile doctors office by asking a series of semi-abstract questions and observing the ability to open and close a hand quickly and checking various other reflexes. However, based on this cursory input a prescription is summarily arrived at, for example Mirapex, Sinemet and Stelevo 5 times a day from dawn to dusk. And the doctors say, don't call us back for a couple of weeks..."let's see what happens it takes time". This is nonsense because these drugs take affect quickly and the changes need to be observed in person by someone trained to look for signs. So although he is now paranoid, hallucinating, suffering from drug induced euphoria, dementia, severe confusion, FoG paralysis, and complete lack of desire to do anything but lay in bed because the dopamine gives you all the reward you can possibly imagine, requiring 24 hour supervision and a small army of medical care professionals practially living in our house, the doctor wants us to wait 13 more days before contacting them. This "Outpatient" treatment model does not suit developing a treatment strategy for Parkinsonism related conditions. Here is what I propose as an alternative. Someone needs to do a kickstarter campaign for the following.

Raise a bunch of money...like one million dollars...grab a young neurology doctor fresh out of med school. Have them sign a ten year contract and set them up in the middle of the woods or the mountain somewhere with a little cabin...like summer camp. When new patients are diagnosed with Parkinson's they are sent to this camp where this fresh doctor(let's call him "The Shaman") Observes them constantly, and has them perform all sorts of activities throughout the day...like summer camp...then adjusts their medications in real time like a shaman. This shaman within a couple years I expect will develop observational intuition not developed with current diagnosis/treatment model for doctors office neurologists. This is the right way to handle these things. Once the shaman thinks the patient has properly adjusted to the new state they can go home. If their conditions change abruptly...they need to go back to the shaman to be adjusted again.

Let me know what you think?
LabRatX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote