View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hey MIM, so glad you got some answers. I was wondering what are your symptoms specifically? or please lead me to the post where I can read about them. I get shaky feelings(like my inside is having a seizure, my head wants to shake, but it's all just a feeing). also I have involuntary muscle contractions that get worse with psychological stimuli.

Stike, I used to get the heavy feeling in my head. Like my head would actually fall onto one side because that side gets(feels) so heavy. Sometimes my head would just move about on its own as the weight shifts around in my head. I was so scared, but no doctor paid much attention to it. Now it's gone though(fingers crossed). So hopefully yours will resolve on its own as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-in-me View Post
Hi again,

Just finished 5 days at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center. I have been diagnosed with non-epileptic seizures. I am grateful to finally have the answer. I experienced one episode on Thursday night after sleep deprivation. The nurses and doctors were all great. I was told no abnormal electrical brain wave activity recorded, but they saw the effect on me physically.

I did not know what to make of this diagnosis at first. But I spoke to a social worker and a psychiatrist before my discharge today. They reassured me I was not "faking" these, and that many people once thought to have epilepsy turn out to have this type of seizure instead, confirmed by the ineffective use of seizure meds to help them.

I once thought after reading many of your posts I was lucky to have missed the depression and anxiety issues that often accompany brain injuries. But I guess I manifest my psychological injury by having these spells/ seizures instead. It makes sense, I guess, as many of you who experience depression or anxiety or both did not choose to be burdened with these issues as a result of your injuries, just as I did not choose to have these happen to me.

I was told that deep trauma, great loss, sudden change or built up stress can be the root of the cause of these seizures. I can probably check all of the above since my injury. I will be going to a psychiatrist or psychologist who deals with this kind of condition. There seems to be a 40% to 70% success rate at stopping these. I am hopeful.

I also hope that all of you still experiencing seizure-like activity will get thoroughly checked out, so you can get the answers you need to move forward, too.

Thanks for letting me bend your ears. Take care, M-im
willgardner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
music-in-me (08-02-2014)