View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karilann View Post
hen the eye thing happens I will also notice a quick dulling of my hearing (everything goes into a low tone while I can hear a thumping sound) and then I get an electric shock type of feeling in my head. It all happens quite quickly, but again, not at the same time.
As the recent poster said, I know this thread is years old, but I've been withdrawing from sertraline for a week now, and the symptoms as described by Karilann are spot on. Exactly the thing that's driving me up the walls.

If I'm resting/drifting off to sleep/trying to maintain my calm, eyes closed usually but not always, and also the movement needs to be involuntary (REM-style), not intuitionally trying to make the sound happen. But these conditions met, I get the swish/crunch sound, coupled with a dulling/loss of hearing, a thump/shock in my chest (and head sometimes). Almost like the movement of my eyes has somehow triggered a momentary switch which is both PAUSE and ZAP.

Background - I've been taking Adderall, sertraline, and been on the nicotine patch pretty solid for about two years. My main purpose for this combo has been "I'm trying not to be a jackass to everyone around me" but recently I've discovered I'm still a complete tool regardless of how many meds are administered, so I stopped everything. No, this was not with the advice of my PsyD.

So I quit everything. It's been a great week, boy howdy. I discovered feels again, that was cool. My wife has been amazingly understanding and compassionate as I rediscover myself (which includes extended mopery and spontaneous outbursts of agonizing crying, but also clarity of thought and purpose tossed into the brain salad, something I've been missing). I've brought caffeine back into the mix, though not nearly as much as before, and started with a tiny bit of nicotine yesterday as well. Still leaving the prescriptions ion the shelf for now. I refuse to let the side effects of withdrawal drive me back to the bottle; if the only reason it turns out I need to take drugs is to ameliorate these side effects, then the drugs can go f**k themselves. Seriously. I'd rather do yoga.

...anyway. If anyone is still reading this thread and has similar side effects they'd like to hash out, let's talk.
Shirogomi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote