Thread: Sugar flares
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--even those who do not have neuropathy caused by diabetes have reported sometimes experiencing exacerbations of symptoms after having consumed sugar, alcohol, or other foods high in simple carbohydrates.

Not quite sure why this is, although sugar and alcohol are known for being nerve irritants. It may just be that those with already compromised nerves are somewhat more vulnerable.

During my most severe acute neuropathy experience, I distinctly remember one major flare after a potluck pasta dinner. The experience was on reason I eventually went gluten free, though I have never tested positive for celiac on blood tests or endoscopy. I'm probably better off without all those flour products in me anyway.
Hi Glenntaj,
I do remember you mentioning the flare after the heavy glutening. This is what's happening to me if the dessert is very very sweet. But I'm planning on changing my diet to avoid the flares anyways. As I mentioned I believe I had a 2nd assault of PN 2 years ago with a completely different pattern which put me in a worse off state for a while and I had to leave my job finally. But I started to cutout sugar yesterday and so far so good. Thank you!!
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote