View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hockey, I PMed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupala View Post

I feel like if I had a greater capacity for faith that this would be much easier, but I just don't. I've defined myself for a while by my lack of faith, but have kind of wished that I had some, as it might make this easier. But, I'm just not built that way (no offense intended to religious/spiritual folks, people can have good reasons for believing, they're just not reasons that I share).

Anyone have any insight on how to foster the belief that things will get better, that we will regain what we've lost (even if in reality we might not)? I imagine I'm not the only person who has struggled with this.
Since the injury, I have wished few times that I could be a Christian like the rest of my family. I am just not built that way, either.

I believe that we never stay the same. We get a completely new body every 7 years(through cells dying off and getting new cells). Our perspectives, belief systems change through new experiences. In this sense, we will never be the same.

For something gained, there is always something lost. By the same token, there is no pure loss, as we would surely have gained something: resilience, gratitude, acceptance to name a few.

What gets me through is thinking about my legacy to humanity (for folks who don't have children). I think about people who have inspired and continue to give me strength. I think about Helen Keller who never gave up. I think about others in worse shape than I do, who keep fighting with a smile on their face. I cannot let these people or myself down. This keeps me going.

That being said, I am scared. I want to feel like "myself"...
willgardner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-04-2014), thorx89 (09-15-2014), underwater (08-04-2014)