View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfeather View Post
Soccertese, the following are the drugs I was given by my neurologist: 5 sample boxes of Azilect, 7 tablets each, 2 are 0.5 mg and 3 are 1mg. Also, 4 sample boxes of Neupro transdermal patches with 7 to a box. 1 box contains 1 mg patches, 2 boxes are 2mg, and 1 box of 4 mg. Seems like a haphazard approach to me. I was given no other instructions other than just try them. What do you think?
1. azilect is a MAO-B inhibitor, not an agonist, seems like a lot of neuros prescribing it to "newbies"
2. neupro is an agonist patch.

both are quite expensive, i think over $14/day for the therapeutic doses of each so hope you have good insurance.

if you decide to try the meds you obviously take them in ascending strengths. i'd go back to the doc and ask him some questions as to why he selected these drugs and your concerns. i got something like that when first diagnosed, i think it was a MIRAPEX starter kit with very little discussion. after i got home and started researching pd on the internet i asked the neuro a lot of questions and decided to hold off on meds. i wasn't prepared to ask anything at that first visit. not defending neuros but they are incredibly busy, seems the burden is on the patient to get the info that's lacking, that's unfortunately the way it is. of course he could have waited to offer you the samples after you had time to do some research. the 3 MDS's i've met have been pretty cold fishes, gotta have a thick skin to tell people day in and day out you have an incurable, progressive central nervous system disease.

in the bigger scheme of things, treating pd is much more than drugs and i think some MDS's are woefully deficient in getting their patients into exercise, social groups, even into clinical trials. so complain but be your own advocate/researcher.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (08-05-2014)