View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default 2 root canals, extraction, implant, now adjacent tooth infection!

I am at my wits end over what I see as the inevitable loss of several teeth with no end in sight. I had a root canal on tooth # 14 by an endodontist five years ago. Last year, I started to have pain in this tooth and was told that it had abscessed and I could have an apico or a second root canal. I returned to the endodontist and opted for the second root canal. Soon after, I was told that this procedure did not work and the tooth would need to be extracted. So, I set up an appt. with an oral surgeon and have the tooth extracted.

Oral surgeon indicated that the tooth was extremely infected (not sure why, had several rounds of antibiotics, but whatever). Tooth is removed in January 2014 with seemingly no issue. Between February and May of 2014, I start having pain in tooth #13. At one point, the pain is so bad I cannot chew at all on this tooth. I visit my regular dentist, on 3 separate occasions (x ray taken one time), to be told that everything looks fine and my teeth must be shifting so I should schedule a bridge or implant appointment ASAP. I schedule an appt. with a different dentist for an implant and have the implant placed in June 2014. At my follow up implant appt. I mention that tooth # 13 continues to be sensitive - no longer painful, but definitely sensitive. The implant dentist does an xray and says, of course #13 is sensitive---it's infected and likely in need of a root canal!! He gave me antibiotics, which seemed to make no difference whatsoever, and is proceeding with fitting my implant with an abutment while watching the infection in tooth #13.

I am worried for a variety of reasons. I'd like to know1) Is it possible that my extraction of tooth #14 caused the infection in tooth # 13 (which doesn't even have a filing in it to date); 2) Is my implant where tooth #14 was potentially comprised because of the infection now in tooth #13 3) what should I do at this point to prevent losing anymore teeth???
Thank you
dwnjef is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote