View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi dnd1980,

Your spouse should consult with an oral surgeon. They will take a panoramic radiograph which will show the mouth in its entirety as well as his sinus , etc. He may have a communication into his sinus which may be infected and inflamed. General dentists are not as knowledgeable with this sort of thing as an oral surgeon would be.

A waring about the long term us of ibuprofen. This medication is not intended to be used in high doses for long term. It can cause life threatening circuclatory problems with the heart and damage can occur in the stomach, kidneys and liver.

Also if he is a smoker.... he needs to seriously consider stopping. The toxic chemicals in cigarettes can prevent the surgery from healing properly. It can also cause or contribute to a sinus communication resulting in infection and pain.

I hope this information is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd1980 View Post
Hello. So my spouse had a top wisdom tooth extracted about 6 weeks ago. Everything went fine. Ever since he has has pain but the dentist had said its not fully healed but there are no issues, so everything seems on track. He has been taking 400-800 mg ibuprofen since it was pulled. Well about a day and a half ago it got ALOT worse. It's now a throbbing pain that is worse when he lays down. He was not able to sleep last night but for an hour here and there. Ibuprofen is not working at all. Went to dentist today, they took xrays and did a full exam and said he doesn't see any issues. Gave him a script of penicillin to see if that helps. Earlier this afternoon he started taking half 10mg percocet and it's helped a bit, but not much. This evening since trying to sleep had to give him a whole one spread out and he is still crying out in pain. Any idea what could be going on?

I have been scouring the internet for the past 2 hours trying to find information on what may could be going on with my spouse. Found some problems similar but none have been solved or exact. Wanted to see if I could get any help here. Thanks for reading.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote