Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Teacher1959,

As I said, you can brush very thoroughly, but you cannot remove the hard deposits of bacteria that build up below the gum line. The longer it builds up the more likely it is to develop periodontal disease. This disease is a bacterial infection, it can damage the bone, result in loss of teeth and the bacteria travels through the bloodstream onto other areas of the body. It's important for you to know all of that.

Regarding the pain up to your jaw joint.... this could be due to a bruxism habit, either nocturnal or during the day... and the loss of teeth without replacement can sometimes contribute to a misaligned bite which puts a lot of stress on the other teeth, the gums and the muscles that surround the TMJ joint.

The tests I mentioned, allergy testing and hormone testing, are not done by a dentist and they are not something to laugh at. It is not abnormal for a woman past menopause to have an imbalance in hormones. In fact it is quite common. One of the symptoms of hormonal imbalance is burning in the mouth. Our hormones are not just something associated with our reproductive system, they are also affected by stress, infection, inflammation, and our diet. I suggested allergy testing because your oral symptoms could be in part due to an allergy.

Regarding the supplementation with nutrients.... supplements are not intended to be taken in place of proper nutrition. They are "supplements" meaning to enhance what is already in your diet. If the diet is lacking in proper nutrition because it consists of processed and refined food, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, etc... then supplements have very little helpful benefit on a nutritional level.

Be careful not to over due the salt water and bicarb rinses as too much salt can cause irritation to the oral tissue and cause it to slough off. So twice a day is adequate. Also please know that this rinsing will not get to the areas below the gum line.

I know you are having a hard time. I have provided as much information as I can based on your description. I truly hope you get relief soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher1959 View Post
Hi Bryanna.
Thank you for your reply, sadly you are correct in your assumption, my teeth are generally in a pretty bad state.
I assume I have gum disease, as I can see I have receding gums now..

Right, I dont think its a nutrient problem, I take a wide variety of supplements like magnesium etc...I am well past menopause and my hormones seem okay...
I have since bought a natural toothpaste to try ... early days but no real effect...I am salt water flushing three times a day, plus a bicarb rinse as well. I have a little (very) relief , its settled down to about a 6\10 instead of a 11...driving me crazy type pain...
At times it even calms enough for me to know where it seems to centre... which is up by my jaw joint, almost my ear... and Ive had the odd shooting pain across the face at that time. But generally I think its gum disease... or some kind of infection? Being in Spain, on a very low income and the dentist here would just laugh at the idea of the tests you outline... Im in a pretty difficult position... Im at my wits end and quite despairing
Thank you anyway....

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote