View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencetoy View Post
I went to a TBI group this morning. I used to enjoy this group, but the guys I liked have left.

Anyway, they had this person who was going to talk about "the good things about brain injury" This person was fantastically wealthy and ended up talking about how his brain injury allowed him to leave his impressive but stressful job and stay home being totally taken care of by his family.

It bothered me that he did so much bragging about how much better he is than the rest of us.

I feel bad for anyone with a brain injury, but I did not appreciate being told that he's managing his TBI so much better than anyone else.

The best thing about my brain injury is that I survived it. So far.

Am I just too sensitive about this stuff? I don't think I'll ever go back to this group.
If you've enjoyed the group in the past I wouldn't let one speaker at one meeting ruin it for you. That gives that individual too much power over you. The purpose of support groups is to share experiences. Not everyone's experience is the same, so take what you like and can relate to and leave the rest.

In addition to some TBI support groups I've gone to AA for years. As I was told early on, you can find one a**h*** at any meeting. Look for similarities rather then differences. Also consider how your experience may help others.

Best to you.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-08-2014), poetrymom (08-11-2014), tnthomas (08-08-2014)