View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've had that a few times and was told it was something in association with my more unfriendly seizures (parietal/occipital lobe). There's never much information online to cover this type as it's fairly rare, however, I still believe most doctors don't investigate enough complaints of these symptoms or the number would rise greatly. I really don't fancy them saying it's a hallucination, though. Hehe.

I'll paste some information below and link the source.

Quote:
Seizures with visual symptomatology

Seizures from the occipital lobes and the parieto-occipital junction are characterised by visual phenomena, but visual auras may occur in epilepsy affecting any part of the visual pathways. Elementary visual hallucinations are most common, especially crude sensations of light or colours, which may take various shapes, be continuous, steady or moving, or be interrupted flashes of light. Visual loss, either total or partial, may also occur and is especially common in children. Transient amaurosis as an ictal phenomenon lasts seconds to minutes, but visual loss may also occur as a post-ictal deficit. Amaurosis is usually bilateral and may be a blackout or whiteout.

Formed visual hallucinations are experienced fairly often in epilepsy. Pictures of people, animals or scenes may be perceived, either static or moving. One subtype is epileptic autoscopia, where the subjects see mirror images of themselves, sometimes in long-lived situations. Formed hallucinations are usually brief, and may be associated with slow head and eye turning, with the gaze towards the direction of the moving images perceived. They may be associated with various types of visual illusions. Usually, patients are aware of the unreality of the experience. In comparison with migraine, that is usually associated with sharp lines and fortification spectra, the visual hallucinations of occipital seizures commonly comprise coloured blobs of light.

Visual illusions also occur as a seizure phenomenon, and visuo-spatial perceptions and topographical sense have been located to the non-dominant parietal lobe. The simplest types mainly involve visual illusion of spatial interpretation, illumination or colouring of vision, or movement in space. Perceived objects may appear diminished or enlarged (micro- or macropsia), altered in shape, squeezed or compressed from above, downwards or sideways, vertical and horizontal components may be oblique and lines wavy. Lines may be defective or fragmented, stationary objects seen as moving, or motion appears too slow or too fast. In some cases, such experiences may be difficult to distinguish from the characteristic illusion of movement in vertigo. More complex forms include inappropriate orientation of objects in space, like teleopsia, where objects appear both small and at a distance, or enhanced stereoscopic vision, where near subjects seem very close and more distant objects located very far away. Palinopsia, or visual perseveration, in which visual images recur or persist after removal of the stimuli, may also occur as a seizure.
Here is the link if you'd like to read up some more on it. Not to diagnose you, but hopefully it will give you some additional insight on how weird our seizures can really be. I always reflect on this link and think of how fortunate I am to not experience the sensation of losing limbs. My Epi told me she'd heard of only one case and the patient had to be hospitalized because her seizures were so painful and traumatic she'd ended up having to be under supervised care due to being suicidal.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote