View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Serg,

How many days has it been since it was treated the last time?

If it has been more than 2 days and the socket feels okay, you can use the syringe VERY GENTLY to irrigate the socket. It is best to just use salt water in the syringe as this does the best job of keeping the area clean without irritation.

Corsodyl is Chlorexidine which can be very irritating to the surgical site and oral tissue. You do not need to use this.

A therapeutic salt water mix would be:

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bathroom size cup (3 oz).
Mix with warm water, stir well.
Put the plunger completely into the syringe.
Place the curved tip of the syringe into the cup of salted water and draw up on the plunger to fill the syringe. You do not need to fill the syringe all the way.

Irrigating the socket is only helpful if you do it gently. Otherwise if you use too much force you could disrupt the blood clot and end up with another dry socket.

If you are hesitant to use the syringe, that's okay ... then make sure you rinse well 3-4 times a day with warm salt water. When you eat avoid that area of your mouth.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote