View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 01:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your response. I have used insulin very short term after getting steroid injections for my PN. I have no aversion to using insulin but being a type 2 diabetic, insurance does not cover it until you meet certain criteria. I do not know the criteria but a while back, my doctor told me that my insurance will not cover insulin for me yet.

I would love to be able to use a CGM for 3 days to get a more accurate picture of exactly what is going on but again you must meet the criteria. Because of the cost, it is nearly impossible to use one if you are type 2.

I just saw my endocrinologist last week and he changed my meds. So far, the new meds are NOT doing the trick. I tested hourly for a few days. Even during the night if I woke up.

As to my carb intake,.... did you read my prior posts on this thread? I am probably one of the most compliant patients I could possibly be as I do not want to go down the road of complications. I already have too many conditions that came along BEFORE diabetes.

The ONLY beverages I have consumed in over 7 years (When diagnosed) is water, coffee, and the rare and occasional few ounces of milk. ABSOLUTELY not a drop of any other beverage has crossed my lips since I was first diagnosed with diabetes. As far as diet, I stick to steamed veggies and baked or boiled chicken most of the time. On the rare occasion that I eat out, I will have broiled fish and steamed veggies. On special days, like holidays, I eat home but will "cheat" and have a small boiled red potato as a treat. An example of a holiday meal for me for New Years Day was a real feast. It had a spoon of black-eyed peas, cabbage, a slice of baked pork, and eggplant. At Thanksgiving I cook a turkey breast for myself, eggplant, and boiled potato. Christmas consists of turkey, broccoli or green beans, and the BIG cheat of oyster dressing in a very small quantity.

I am NOT willing to give up my very limited cheats on those 3 holidays. Out of 365 days a year, I think those 3 days do not factor into my control issues.

I try to limit my carbs to 15 grams at any meal. The last time I had a dietician consult was about 4 months ago.

I had tight control according to my doctor until the past two years. I have not changed anything in my life. Diet unchanged for 7 years. I have become even a bit less active than before due to pain issues but no drastic change. I have been sedentary for some time.

Thanks again for your response.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote