Thread: Bad diagnosis
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Bucking the crowd...

Bells' Palsy can present very similar to a mild stroke.
Quote:
The two most common causes of acute facial paralysis are Bell’s palsy and ischemic stroke.¹ EMS providers are often faced with the challenge of differentiating between these two diagnoses. Because acute stroke is a time-critical illness, the distinction between stroke and Bell’s palsy must be made quickly to avoid unnecessary delays in treatment.
http://www.jems.com/article/patient-...kness-caused-b
I don't see that the GP/PCP did anything inappropriate. On the contrary, IMO she did exactly the appropriate thing sending Mark to have it checked out.

That the ER nurse was more quickly able to make the distinction only suggests (to me) that being an ER nurse, she probably sees a multitude more Bell's cases than than the typical GP. In both cases of folks I know personally who've had Bell's Palsy, both woke up with it, freaked out, and headed straight for the ER, thinking they may have had a stroke.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (08-12-2014), Lara (08-12-2014)