Thread: Letter
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post

I had never sent more than a card or letter before.
Annie,

In addition to the general letter, I sent one to highlight an individual:
I recently had a six-day stay at the Ortho/Neuro Unit at O'Connor Hospital. Your staff took wonderful care of me. While I should be writing dozens of individual thank you letters, I wanted to draw your attention to at least one individual, Lupe from Housekeeping.

Lupe's housekeeping skills were not superior to the others. All took fine care of my room. It was the way Lupe entered my room with a light knock: "Honey how are you feeling today. Can I clean your room? Do you want me to come back later?"

I know this might seem like a small thing, but in the moment, I found a great deal of comfort in Lupe's kind words, and her gentile demeanor. Thank you Lupe.

And finally, I got my RN Dave a small gift, a mufti-pocket cargo vest, like the one I wear. It will be ideal for all the little gizmos and potions he carries around from room to room.

Dave did me a great service. On the first night the doctors wanted to move me to the ICU, not because my life in danger, but because I may have needed more attention than they could offer on the ward. I was aspirating with an NG Tub. My mouth would not shut, and I could not clear my throat.

Dave made the case that they could take care of me on the Ortho/Neuro Unit. I was in a small, quite, single room. I was doing my own suction, and I was keeping my tong and lips moist with square swabs. This seemed to impress the doctors. It was easier for me to do it myself, and it was much easier than what I had been doing before--reaching into the back of my throat with a cloth every few minutes.

Dave came into my room and told me that the doctors wanted to move me to ICU, but that he and the other RNs wanted to keep on the Unit. Not being able to speak, I pointed to the ground, indicating that I wanted to stay right where I was. And I did.

-Mark-

Last edited by Panorama; 08-12-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Panorama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote