View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 07:20 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by angell View Post
Well things didn't go extraordinarily well with my neurologist today.

He asked me how things were going and I told him.

"Poorly. I think. Because not only do I not know what to expect because you haven't told me - for instance, the heat will exacerbate MG, and so I've had to discover this on my own and not know whether to attribute it to heat or something else; but I don't know what the new normal is."

Then he rolled his eyes and got that smug look on his face that likes to land there. So I asked him about it.

"Do you have a neurological condition yourself?" I asked.
"No," he said, in a perfect rendition of a defensive tone of voice, "why?"
"Because you roll your eyes at me a lot when I'm asking you questions and I was curious if some physical condition caused it or it was arrogance."

THAT went over well.

"I studied and worked at Duke where we had 600 MG patients..." It went on for a while - be glad for ellipsis. Then it was my turn. I'm not going to spare you the ellipsis - sorry.

"My turn. I speak five languages. I have degree's in mathematics and physics and graduated summa cum laude. A freshman project I turned in was commandeered by the Pentagon and I did a stint as a consultant for them. I was published in a mathematical journal as a sophomore. I've had two books published. I have been asked to give presentations to both the FBI and the APA, ironically on reading body language. I am also a member of Mensa.

"If you can't speak to me without speaking down to me, then please send in your nurse and have her talk to me."

First time I wasn't told to make a follow-up appointment. Hmm... wonder what that's about?

Oh well.
OH MY GOSH!! You are my HERO!! It has been so painfully obvious to me when neurodocs have acted like I am making up my symptoms and both doctors at Chapel Hill and Duke started the visit with that look on their face and the question "So..why are you here???" After my Single Fiber test at Chapel Hill the doctor quickly whisked me out the door and never even bothered to call to give me the results of the test. Can you tell that I am bitter? I applaud you for speaking out and calling out that doctor on their attitude. BRAVO!!
pingpongsis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
angell (08-13-2014), AnnieB3 (08-13-2014), Hockey (08-15-2014), mom2mba (08-18-2014), rach73 (08-16-2014), sandy56 (08-13-2014)