View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Well, I wouldn't normally suggest getting into a pissing contest with your neuro, but, as pissing contests go, that certainly has to be one of the best! At least that I can tell given the insufficient data.

Mensa, huh? Show off.

I totally understand being disgusted with the childish mannerisms that some neurologists don to hide their insecurities, for I've had one or two of them as well. But, as with any controlling personality (who is essentially insecure), you're often damned if you do and damned if you don't. They enjoy putting others/patients down because it's the only way they can feel good about themselves. Nothing anyone says or does will ever change that, unfortunately.

Now . . . tell me more about the theft of your property. Doesn't our government steal everything anyway?

You should probably find a neuro who respects patients, no matter their IQ or level of education. But do they exist?

The only one I personally know of is in Florida. Way too hot down there. And sinking fast.

I kid, but it's not really funny, is it? All we want is to be heard, to be helped, and to be respected. How hard could that possibly be?

Annie
Hi Annie,

Well, it really wasn't actually meant to be a pissing contest... really.

Tone of voice doesn't translate well in type, but my tone of voice was pleasant the whole time - like I was comparing my recipe for chocolate cookies with his recipe for chocolate chip cookies, trying only to alert him to the fact that we didn't need to stop to describe what 'flour' was to me.

I was aware of his insecurities, as he wears them on his sleeve - and had I thought about it a bit more, I would have modified the manner of delivering the message as to not trigger them but... and especially with someone who presents themselves as cerebral, I sometimes get into this socially retarded state where I assume that if I just make this logical enough...everyone will understand. Just a blind spot in my social skill set.

The school project was ridiculous actually. CS101 - write a code: i.e. A=Q, B=7, etc. But I'm a math guy. I got creative and used fractals. When it was done, they put it through the Cray computer on campus (which was the sixth largest computer in the world at the time) and tried to break the code. Six months later, some very nice folks (I know cause they told me how nice they were) from Washington showed up and 'borrowed' it to 'study' it.

I've got a good friend, we share a love of Eastern philosophy/religion, who wants to come with me next visit and I'm going to let him. He is retired now (still early 50's) but was the lead ER doc in the same hospital. He's funny...and completely innocent, but when I got diagnosed with MG he was as excited as I'd ever seen him. Never actually saw a case and his childlike curiosity and zeal got the better of his social judgment in that situation,

"Wow, really! MG! Of course though...makes perfect sense! Hmm... let me see, don't tell me...pyrido...pyridostig...pyridostigmine! They still treating it with that? OH! Um...yeah, sorry about that...." I do love him.

Really the talk with the neurodoc was simply based on the fact that I keep doing things that get me into trouble with the MG...because I was never warned. Deciding to rest outside in the sun when it's 100 degree's out because inexplicably, since I came out five minutes ago I feel extraordinarily weak is silly and extremely preventable. Since I was diagnosed two days before our first scheduled 100 degree day, it might have been something to mention.

At the end of the day, I'd be happy with him treating me with the absolutely worst consideration he would accept if another doctor was treating his child.

Really though, beyond the diagnosis...he hasn't done anything for me that I need him for. It's kind of why alienating him isn't as horrible as it might have been. Prescribed me mestinon? Sure, but I could have looked it up and asked my PCP for some - and after he looked it up and realized it was for MG, he would have written it up.

*shrug* It is what it is now. We'll just move forward and see where we end up.
angell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (08-13-2014), rach73 (08-16-2014), sandy56 (08-13-2014)