View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
scarletB,

In my opinion, I would consider it very important to know all the details of his injury. If you hope for a long term relationship, his history needs to come out. You can be much more support for him if you understand.

These injuries are often very complex. Researching the symptoms and then trying to diagnose his condition without him being open about his injury puts a heavy burden on you and strains the balance of your relationship.

Statistically, 80% of relationships/marriages interrupted by a brain injury do not make it. I am not trying to rain on your parade. I just think it is important for him to be open with you so you can be proper support.

My best to you.
hi mark,

i guess we have a bit of an advantage of sorts. i met him after his MVA and only know him the way he is now. i've seen the manic episodes, withdrawing himself, the confusion mid conversation, the frustration, severe depression, etc. while those things were frightening for me to experience, i'm glad to have gotten passed them. i never understood fully, the severity of his situation until recently. i agree, wholeheartedly, that i need the full extent of his injuries. what i've found out in the passed couple of months and very recently has helped us tremendously. so far i know that he was diagnosed with a moderate-severe TBI, has chronic migraines, and is currently seeing a therapist and neurologist.

it's just difficult when talking about it will either irritate or overwhelm him. he's not used to being open about it, as he was told not to talk about his case (legal concerns, of course). and he took that advice very literal in a sense. i have to take it at a slower with him; he's a bit more "fragile" than i realized in the past, but i am certainly making headway.
scarletBegonias is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote