View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm 2.5 years post injury too and I'm just starting to get to the point of trying to wrap my head around the idea of letting go of the goal of full recovery (returning to who I was before my injury, complete with all those abilities) and trying to accept where I'm at now and figuring out how to move forward.

Mostly this is coming from being tired and impatient of being "stuck" for so long. I've had very little progress in 2.5 years, I'm mostly pretty much exactly where I was at right after my injury, a month after my injury, 6 months after my injury, etc. Perhaps if I'd seen any progress, I'd still be holding on tighter to returning to my former self.

So I've been wrestling with your same question... along with a few others... Where do I go from here? What do I want my life to look like now? What adjustments do I need to make to make those goals reasonable? and so on.

They are difficult questions for me, I have a hard time thinking about them and working them out, but for me, in trying to work them out, I'm learning things about my new self.

I do talk out major decisions with both my husband and my rehab psychologist before I move forward just to make sure my reasoning is sound and I've not gone off the rails. Sometimes a reality check is wise... I don't trust my injured brain... for good reason.

For instance, we are making plans to sell our current home and property and buy a different home and property that is better set up for my needs. (A house where everything that I need is all on one level, a barn that will have some features that will save me some precious effort and allow me to keep doing what I love.)

So I wouldn't say that I know who I am yet, but all I know is I have to try to move forward... I only have one life and while it kinda sucks right now... forward is the only way... I can't go backwards and I can't stay stuck... so I'm attempting forward!

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-13-2014), Mokey (08-14-2014), sciencetoy (08-14-2014), Sitke (08-15-2014)