View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default myoclonus and night sweats

Help! I'm on my 10th neurologist and we're not getting anywhere! I am a 62 year old female.
My movement problems started 9 years ago when my hand flexed by itself. That was followed by 4 1/2 years of random twitching all over my body-almost entirely below the neck. Dr.s found a "clinically insignificant" Chiari malformation with 7 mm. of drop. Had endless night sweats (periodically during the day) which were unresponsive to 5 different hormone treatments. Then the myoclonus began. It fluctuates dramatically in intensity over time. Also have episodes of vertigo, speech difficulties, hip weakness, short term memory problems, and fatigue. Had surgery for a small bowel obstruction and my myoclonus had been awful (I was house-bound) prior to surgery. After surgery, the myoclonus was almost gone for 6 months and then it resumed. Have had blood tests for Lyme and Lupus which came back negative. Can't get dr. to give me a spinal tap. I have a strong family history of autoimmune disease and I have a mild case of Hashimoto's . I am taking .5 mg of dexamethasone which is very helpful and a muscle relaxor when things get worse.
rasohio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote