View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi, Karen. Welcome!

You might have more than one thing going on, though most of what you describe sounds like MG (double vision, neck weakness, etc.). Sensory symptoms are not indicative of MG, such as tingling.

I think you're misreading the results. 0.32 is above normal for the AChR binding antibodies. The modulating antibodies are shown as a percentage, and do not have a decimal point. So, from what I can see, you have a positive MG antibody test.

Antibodies and, therefore, antibody tests, fluctuate and do not necessarily reflect the severity of an autoimmune disease.

There's some debate about what is positive with the modulating antibodies. Each lab has their own range for that. If you see an MG expert, you might want to have your antibodies redone and sent to Mayo.

MG is diagnosed clinically and the diagnosis is backed up with any test results. Did you get the records of your visit? If not, do so. They should have documented what your strength was in whatever muscle groups they checked.

Other tests you could have done are a Tensilon Test, a RNS, EMG, or a Single Fiber EMG. If you're short of breath, you could see a pulmonologist for breathing tests, including MIP and MEP (specific to neuromuscular diseases). You could also see a neuro-ophthalmologist to assess your double vision. They have special tests they do to see if your eyelid muscles are fatigable, as they are in MG.

Dr. Allan Weiss is in St. Petersburg, Florida and is an excellent neurologist, MG expert, and MDA Director. He is with the St. Anthony's Neurology Group. 727-820-7701 I can't recommend him highly enough. You could always go there once, for a consultation/diagnostic visit and then ask a neurologist closer to you to continue care. He might be able to recommend someone.

Have you considered going to the Mayo Clinic in Florida?

Since you live in Florida, you need to be careful not to get hot. Heat makes MG worse, and it can get worse rapidly. If you have MG, you have to be aware that it can progress to the point of not being able to speak, move, or breathe. That's called an MG crisis. If you have any of those symptoms, you need to dial 911. It doesn't matter if you have a diagnosis or not. Don't be scared, just get help.

It couldn't hurt to have someone check your B12 and thyroid levels, too. Those are fairly common issues. Vitamin D deficiency, too.

I hope you'll get some help. What else can we do for you? Any more questions? Please let us know!

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 08-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
juliejayne (08-16-2014), karenbbb (08-15-2014), Panorama (08-15-2014)