Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Myoclonus?

Hello I'm new here,

I'm female and 41 yrs old.

10 years ago I started occasionally getting these sudden "jerks" in my lower trunk area, like lower back and hips. I only noticed them when at rest, but not sleeping. For example, if I was reading or watching TV. Sometimes I would get several in a day, sometimes none.

This has continued off and on all of these years and I have never brought it up with a doctor. I've always assumed they had something to do with the two herniated disks in my lumbar spine. I also have arthritis in all of the facet joints in that area.

Recently, as in a few weeks ago, these jerks started happening all over my body! The lower back/hip, legs, arms, shoulders, hands and feet. Most of the time they are not extreme movements. I can definitely feel and see them, but most of them are not noticeable to others. Last night however, I experienced two very dramatic leg jerks that would have definitely been noticeable to someone, had someone been in the room with me. It felt like a strong electric shock and even hurt a bit.

Also, about a week ago, my right thumb started doing this rapid uncontrollable tremor whenever I would bend it. This only lasted for 2 days and stopped.

I also recently experienced a very uncomfortable eye twitch that lasted for 6 months! My eyeball actually ached and seemed a bit blurry through most of this time. This did finally stop. Again, I didn't go to the doctor. I know I should have, but I am stubborn and hate spending the money.

From what I'm reading, I'm experiencing mostly myoclonus. I'm now pretty nervous since my mother has ms, and I know these things can have a genetic component.

I'm working on getting some insurance so I can get this looked into, but in the meantime, any thoughts?

I should mention that I do take Lexapro and Wellbutrin for depression. However, when all of this started I was not on any meds. The back/hip jerking has happened whether I'm on meds or not.

I do think it's possible that the problem is made worse by the meds, but I took various antidepressants for several years in my early 20s, with no side effects like this whatsoever.
rachaeltowne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote