View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Can 'overstretching' damage the myelin sheath?

Dear All,

I was diagnosed with severe PN in my feet four years ago. I take 3,000mg Neurontin + 25mg Amitriptylene. During this time I have been on my feet 1 hour per day, and sitting with my feet elevated the rest of the time. My PN is not worse at night.

In April I did some stretching (overstretching?) exercises - for suspected plantar fasciitis - which perhaps annoyed the already fragile nerves. Since then I have been housebound - using crutches and only walking a few metres on the balls of my feet. Despite basically resting around the clock, there is NO improvement since April. MRI scans in May showed diffuse muscle and plantar swelling (no plantar fasciitis), but nothing that could explain my situation. The physiotherapist says he cannot help because this is mostly a neurogenic issue.

If I try to massage or walk a little bit, there is a flare-up so that my feet get painful and swollen. It can take a week before my feet 'calm down' again.

What caused this? 1. Can overstretching your feet damage the myelin sheath so that the PN gets worse? 2. Can diffuse muscle and plantar swelling somehow squeeze and irritate the already fragile nerves? 3. What else?

What can I do? I suppose it depends on whether it is 1. or 2. above that caused this.

A. Rest for yet another few months and hope time heals this? B. Put the worst foot in an aircast so that the foot is immobile and give the subtle tendonitis/muscle swelling a chance to heal? C. What else? Medication would only make the situation more tolerable.

I am so worried and am grateful for any help. Sorry for the long post.

Kindly,
Grete Cooper
grete is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote