View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry you are going through all of this. With RSD...I will not allow the dentist to do any root canals on me. I have heard there is a risk of spread into the mouth with root canals and I don't care how small the risk is...I will NOT take it. I have had to have 6 teeth pulled in the last 2 years because of this.

Medications can contribute to tooth problems but mine were more likely caused by the fact that when I went through the worst of my RSD problems (when I was stuck in wheelchair unable to walk or stand at all) I did not take very good care of my teeth. I literally had to crawl to get to the bathroom and my teeth were not a priority for me. When I brushed I couldn't even see in a mirror and it was very painful so I could not brush for very long. So...by the time I was back on my feet and stuff a lot of damage had been done.

Last year was my year to address my dental health and I had a lot of work done. 6 teeth pulled, multiple bridges put in, etc. I go to a dentist who does sedation dentistry so I was knocked out for the pulling of the teeth and then all of the bridge work. That was the best decision I ever made.

Everyone has to make the decision that's best for them...but I personally would (and do) steer clear of all root canals. Having done research into it...it's not a very good procedure to have done any way as it means you are just leaving the infected tooth in your mouth. It's not healthy and eventually will need to be pulled anyway...that's assuming it doesn't just snap off or break down from decay in the mean time (speaking from experience here on two teeth that I had root canals done on when I was in high school).

My dentist knows I have a very firm stance on the no root canal issue and he doesn't push it...we just look at the other alternatives (which is basically pulling the tooth). I'm sure your friend has your best interest at heart...but that doesn't mean they know anything about RSD and the possible complications that can result. Just look into it and do your research before you make any final decisions. Lots of people have had root canals and no issues...but for me it's not worth the risk.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote