Thread: Battery issues
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 03:08 AM
anon21816

anon21816

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
Hi all, this is the first time I’ve posted on this forum (I've also posted under new member introductions).

So here goes, I have a Medtronic spinal cord stimulator (implanted 2008) in my left buttock, I have recently lost weight and the battery has migrated to the surface, in particular along the top and side edge where it is only covered by a layer of skin, and may require surgery to replace and relocate. It seems while I have been exercising and eating healthily, I should have been eating chocolate and taking it easy! I have an appointment soon with my Neurosurgeon for an opinion/management. I'm wondering whether others have had similar experiences and if you managed to avoid surgery and how? Unfortunately, putting on weight again doesn't seem to be fixing the problem. Has anyone been through the process of getting a replacement battery? I am thinking, if I do have to have the battery replaced, is it worth exploring possibility of changing from Medtronic to Nevro? Buzzing sensation from Medtronic does tend to set off allodynia. I would be grateful for any sharing of relevant experiences and advice.

Booklover

"It is both relaxing and invigorating to occasionally set aside the worries of life, seek the company of a friendly book...from the reading of " good books" there comes a richness of life that can be obtained in no other way." Gordon B. Hinkley

(Apologies if you find any strange errors. I use Dragon voice software and may not pick up all its' mistakes when editing)
Hi
I had my unit implanted in Aug 2008 and since then I too lost weight. My battery is in my left buttock also up near the waistband of my trousers.
In February 2009 I had a new battery inserted as the old battery was faulty. It was unpleasant but necessary.

A couple of months ago I went to my Dr. As like you I had more weight loss and I was concerned that the battery had migrated to the top layer of my skin and was 'working its way out'.

My Dr examined me and then did some X-rays to show me that all was well. Yes the battery was very close to the surface but that it was better there than deeper as the remote might not pick up the signal as well as it was. He told me it was well anchored in and it was going nowhere.

He did ask me if I wanted to have it moved but I said absolutely not I dont want more surgery, another surgical site,more scar tissue etc I have gotten used to it now and I'm just careful when I'm doing things not to bang it off anything. And also in what clothes I'm wearing.

To me the less surgery the better and after 7 ops I don't want any more. Try not to worry and I'm sure it will be fine. Any surgery is a risk and each time you are building up scar tissue which itself is another issue.

Take care

Jackie
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote