View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was dx'd with ATN after some dental work that just didn't seem right to me. I didn't have any pain going in, but had plenty of pain coming out, that ended up being permanent. My neuro had me take two MRIs and a MRA. Compressions were never found.

I tried many meds, but they didn't work well and destroyed my stomach. Now, I take a Tricyclic med (tablet form) plus use a specially formulated compounded cream that I rub on my face (right side where the dental work was done). In the cream is Gabapentin, Lidocaine and Capsaicin. This has worked well for a little over a year. Recently, I've had additional breakthrough pain, so we will probably have to increase the dosage or add a fourth medication to the mixture and I see the doc again relatively soon to discuss this.

This med routine has helped me cope physically and psychologically as I feel I have at least a little control of the severe pain.

Right now I have some additional breakthrough pain, so I am considering seeing the acupuncturist for a short while. I saw her for a few months when it first happened and it did help a little.

When you find the right med routine for you, surely you will feel much happier and confident.

I was told that everyone is different but the top combination for ATN is a Tricyclic medication plus Gabapentin, which is also called Neurontin. Others find different meds or combination of meds that work.

It is a difficult diagnosis and seems to require an intelligent and caring doctor plus much due diligence on the patient's part as well.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote