Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default IVIG Treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjinidaho View Post
I am new to this post. Diagnosed with 'MMN' this spring, 2014. Had my 4th IVIG a week ago, once every 4 weeks. I think I'm seeing some small improvement in my right leg at least. It did start for me in my legs from the knees down to my feet. I'm wondering if anybody has had much luck with diet modifications, immuno therapy etc.???
Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with MMN, at least it is not Lou Gehrig's disease. That was my original diagnosis, but was diagonosed with MMN in January 2010 and started heavy IVIG treatments. 220 grams every four weeks for the first few months.

Improvements in strength were noticed shortly after, sorry I can't remember a more specific time frame but within six months. I was unable to stand on my tip toes or do a calf raise(lifting my entire body). Now I can without any problems, my left leg was affected more than the right.

My left hand is weak without IVIG treatments. I now get 110 grams every four weeks with infusions done at my home starting this year. I use to have to go to an infusion center.

IVIG treatment is the best remedy for MMN. The IVIG restores anti-bodies and prevents further nerve damage. I did read someones website, it is all about a guy diagnosed with MMN and he only eats organic foods and does not get IVIG. He claims he is doing fine with diet alone. Please remember this is only one person I have ever heard about but this is a very rare disease and as you can tell from the posts here that very few people even discuss it. The troubling thing for me is that I will always need these treatments and they are very expensive. My insurance companies gets billed around $30,000 per treatment, luckily the cap on insurance policies has lifted. Hope this has help, just remember to stay positive and live each day to the fullest.
eagleyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aneczka (11-12-2014)