View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The Gabapentin in the cream (along with capcaisin and lidocaine) is a prescription from the doctor that I take to a special pharmacy called a compounding pharmacy. They are getting somewhat common and popular in the US. I do think they are less common in other parts of the world. I had a discussion with another individual from Australia who was in the medical field who had TN. She was familiar with compound medications and compound pharmacies, but could NOT believe that Gabapentin could be compounded into a cream. She and her neurologist had to call all over Australia speaking with various pharmacists, but eventually they were able to make it happen. I don't know how they do it. It involves a base and the actual medicine, but I'm sure it isn't easy.

The really interesting thing for me was that I could not take Gabapentin by mouth, but could rub it as a cream into my face. I was a little nauseas for about three days, but after that, it stopped. When you said it "didn't agree" with you, was it upsetting your stomach? Using it as a cream, reduces the side effects. However, compounding medications into creams is not common everywhere and it can be very expensive.

I too have bigger issues with cold weather and cold winds on my face can make me extremely uncomfortable.

I hope the doctor's appointment went well. Also hope the creams you put on your face helped!!! I use to put capsaicin cream on my face a lot, until I got my prescription cream with capsaicin and the other stuff in it.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote