View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Smile Hope some of this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl123 View Post
Hi All,
I hope everyone is having a good day. I am trying to get more information about ketamine treatment. Wondering if anyone here has had it and what it was like. Thanks! Did it help?

Hi,

I just had the 1 day high dose out patient (500 mg ) Ketamine infusion treatment last Thursday. I opted to do the 1 day over the 4-5 day because I didn't want to stay in the hospital for that long.

My treatment worked really well, I have had a 80-85% reduction in pain (right ankle/foot CRPS) since I had it. I have had the pain level creep back up slightly daily,but the pain management Dr said this might happen and it should plateau out in about a week. Of course it isn't a cure, but we are hoping with repeated treatments the CRPS will go into remission. Hoping!!

The 1 day treatment is different from the 4 day treatment in that you get a very large dose of Ketamine IV ( 500 mg ) over a very short time ( 8hrs) and have all the fun drug side effects with it( hallucinations are possible so you are given a drug called Versed which basically makes you forget it all). The 1 day treatment wasn't bad at all, I was very " drunk" until the next day, but my foot was fairly pain free for the first 2 days.

The 4 day in-patient treatment is where you get to stay in the hospital and you get about 30 -50 mg of Ketamine IV per hour all day long for 24 hrs a day for the 4 days you are there. So you do end up getting a much higher dose over a longer period of time, which in the long run might be more therapeutic in providing longer lasting pain relief. The good thing about the 4 day therapy is you don't get all the dopey side effects of the 1 day high dose therapy, but you do get the inconvenience of having to be in the hospital for 4-5 days.

Since everyone reacts differently to every kind of medication and treatment out there...no guarantee you will get any pain relief at all, and if you do there is no saying how long it will last...could be one day, one week, one month, one year or on....

Does this help? Or did I cause more questions than answers? I will be happy to keep checking back and answering any questions I can for you.

Best to you
TerriLHF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZ-Di (08-20-2014), bluekrikit (02-02-2015), Pixie Girl (09-06-2014), Vrae (08-20-2014)