Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
dnd1980,

Tylenol long term is also not a wise alternative to ibuprofen. Both meds can cause various problems and toxicity.

I understand that you are trying to keep the cost down, however, it is in his best interest to go to an oral surgeon who is in private practice and not tied to any particular HMO insurance. He needs to get properly evaluated and treated accordingly.

All the best.

QUOTE=dnd1980;1087559]I will call to see if he can get a referral to an oral surgeon. We do not have insurance, so this was a sliding scale place. I'm hoping the antibiotics start working because he is not really able to function. He has had to call off from work.

Normally he doesn't take pain medicine but with the pain recently, he hasn't really had a choice. I warned him about the effects so he had stopped taking it for a week or so and tried Tylenol. Then it started getting worse so back to the ibuprofen and now stronger medicine.

He has never smoked, so that is not an issue at all.
[/QUOTE]

Hello again. So this has been an ongoing thing. The pain was manageable for a bit, but ended up coming back extremely severe on Friday. Between Saturday and Monday we went to the ER twice and dentist once. BF did not sleep a wink for 3 days until last night. Dentist had no clue said maybe sinus, and gave referral for oral surgeon. First ER doc said infection, second said Trigeminal Neuralgia. neither did much. Only gave pain pills that did not work. Finally gave him something from an older prescription that put him to sleep. Went to oral surgeon, first said Trigeminal Neuralgia and was going to give referral to neurologist. before we left the older dr and attending walked by and they asked his opinion. He actually took his time to test and x-ray multiple times and talk to BF. He thinks tooth #18 is dying and is sitting on a nerve and leaking something into the nerve in the lower jaw which is causing all the facial pain. He put some shot into the nerve and the pain went away for several hours. We still have to go back to see an Endontist and then get a root canal. So my question is does this sound like it could be the issue? One tooth for all this severe pain to where BF was crying and ready to give up. I have the xray slides and ct scan to show next dentist, but the appointment is a week away and im still freaking out about the other drTrigeminal Neuralgia. Thanks
dnd1980 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote