Thread: out of ideas
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markneil1212 View Post
you're a smart dude, bro! One doctor diagnosed it as that and he pursued treatment vigorously. HE threw everything at it. oxy, roxy, gabapentin, lyrica, Xanax, flexeril. not much worked out that great.

Then he moved to his own office from the clinic and being lazy me I stayed at the close clinic instead of following him. Bad move on my part. that was 7 years ago.
Rhetorical question (to ask yourself—I don't need an answer)... Can you look that doctor up and go with him now? If not, can you contact him for a referral/suggestion who you can see now of similar mindset?

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for the pain that you may have come across.
That's why I asked about silent migraine & food sensitivities. I suffered from chronic migraines (definition: more than 15 days/month) for several years; identifying & avoiding food triggers is one of the things that helped me reduce the frequency from chronic to something less than chronic (but still a major dibilitating PITA).

I've become even more keenly aware of the insidious nature of triggers (and silent migraine) with an ordeal my DW has been going through.

Silent migraine is far more prevalent than previously thought, and often missed by doctors looking at/for something else—or following the wrong clues—leading to misdiagnosis. Patients suffer for years, while they and their doctors never suspect migraine-related events/symptoms. Symptoms can be wide-ranging in scope, and present as all kinds of other conditions.

Not only is my wife's stenosis pain lessened, but her fibro, arthritis, & other pain symptoms are attenuated as well.

I've pretty much identified my own triggers after years of trial & error, but I'm taking a second look at some I thought were ok. I know that when I eat something fairly innocuous that it can have me sick for days after, and the pain.... don't get me started.

Not only can/do these things (triggers & silent migraine syndromes) get misdiagnosed as something else, they are often concomitant with other pain syndromes (the sneeky barstads), making them all the harder to suspect & identify.

After dealing with triggers first for IBS, then chronic headaches/migraines, PN, arthritis, and stenosis/spine issues, my thinking is running that they contribute to any/every kind of chronic pain issue. Same with silent migraine.

Quote:
Because many of the symptoms of silent migraines are the same as the symptoms for stroke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA), sometimes called a mini-stroke, it is very important to see a medical professional immediately to diagnose the cause of the symptoms. Ruling out stroke and other more serious disorders is crucial since the typical migraine head pain is not present.
http://migraine.com/migraine-types/silent-migraine/
Another rhetorical question—What if what presents/seems like post-thalamic stroke/Dejerine–Roussy syndrome is actually silent migraine, whether or not related to triggers? What if it's both—post-stroke and silent migraine—(or something like that) which could/might explain some of the difficulty in treatment? My headaches/migraines (I get two distinct types in a complex) are/can be difficult to treat because each type requires different intervention, and each type can present/disguise itself as the other. I can also get both types concomitantly, which is REALLY fun.... NOT!!!

Quote:
And if you get a chance, can you peek at my question in the addiction and recovery room lol. It's kind of a continuation from this mess.
I did, and that too makes me wonder if there isn't more than one thing going on that's fooling everyone—a "misdirection of symptoms"(?)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 08-20-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: grammar/typo
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-21-2014)