View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi dnd1980,

<<<He thinks tooth #18 is dying and is sitting on a nerve and leaking something into the nerve in the lower jaw which is causing all the facial pain. He put some shot into the nerve and the pain went away for several hours. We still have to go back to see an Endontist and then get a root canal. >>

TOOTH #18 IS A LEFT SECOND MOLAR. THIS TOOTH IS NO WHERE NEAR HIS SINUS. THE "LEAKING" FROM THIS TOOTH IS BACTERIA AS THE TOOTH IS INFLAMED AND MOST LIKELY INFECTED. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT THE DIAGNOSIS NEEDS TO BE ACCURATE NUMBER ONE AND SECONDLY A ROOT CANAL IS NOT GOING TO CURE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS TOOTH OR STOP THE LEAKING OF BACTERIA. IT WILL ONLY SERVE TO PROLIFERATE THE PROBLEM. THE ONLY WAY TO ATTEMPT THE INFECTION FROM SPREADING FROM THIS TOOTH FURTHER INTO THE NERVES AND BONE, IF IT IS AN INFECTED TOOTH, IS TO REMOVE THE TOOTH.

It is my opinion based on all of your posts that your BF has several dental issues going on at one time that are causing various problems to occur all at once. It's like a symphony, once it starts the whole gang joins in.

Long term dental problems like oral infections in root canaled teeth, decayed teeth, periodontal disease, poorly extracted teeth... these are all contributing factors to TN. So the longer the dental problems go on, the more likely he is to end up with some form of neuralgia.

On top of this, the amount of antibiotics and pain meds that he has been on has definitely screwed up his immune system and he is in a toxic state. This will cause any problem to become exacerbated.

I may have mentioned this before or perhaps he's already had this ....... he needs to have a comprehensive oral exam and full mouth series of x-rays along with a panoramic x-ray. All of his dental findings need to be evaluated, a comprehensive treatment plan needs to be established and the dental work needs to be done. It is not beneficial to just treat what is hurting at the time if there are other problems brewing. Again... think about that symphony......

I hope what I have offered you makes sense and he gets the help and relief he needs.

Bryanna

Hello again. So this has been an ongoing thing. The pain was manageable for a bit, but ended up coming back extremely severe on Friday. Between Saturday and Monday we went to the ER twice and dentist once. BF did not sleep a wink for 3 days until last night. Dentist had no clue said maybe sinus, and gave referral for oral surgeon. First ER doc said infection, second said Trigeminal Neuralgia. neither did much. Only gave pain pills that did not work. Finally gave him something from an older prescription that put him to sleep. Went to oral surgeon, first said Trigeminal Neuralgia and was going to give referral to neurologist. before we left the older dr and attending walked by and they asked his opinion. He actually took his time to test and x-ray multiple times and talk to BF. He thinks tooth #18 is dying and is sitting on a nerve and leaking something into the nerve in the lower jaw which is causing all the facial pain. He put some shot into the nerve and the pain went away for several hours. We still have to go back to see an Endontist and then get a root canal. So my question is does this sound like it could be the issue? One tooth for all this severe pain to where BF was crying and ready to give up. I have the xray slides and ct scan to show next dentist, but the appointment is a week away and im still freaking out about the other drTrigeminal Neuralgia. Thanks[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote