Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi dnd1980,

<<<He thinks tooth #18 is dying and is sitting on a nerve and leaking something into the nerve in the lower jaw which is causing all the facial pain. He put some shot into the nerve and the pain went away for several hours. We still have to go back to see an Endontist and then get a root canal. >>

TOOTH #18 IS A LEFT SECOND MOLAR. THIS TOOTH IS NO WHERE NEAR HIS SINUS. THE "LEAKING" FROM THIS TOOTH IS BACTERIA AS THE TOOTH IS INFLAMED AND MOST LIKELY INFECTED. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT THE DIAGNOSIS NEEDS TO BE ACCURATE NUMBER ONE AND SECONDLY A ROOT CANAL IS NOT GOING TO CURE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS TOOTH OR STOP THE LEAKING OF BACTERIA. IT WILL ONLY SERVE TO PROLIFERATE THE PROBLEM. THE ONLY WAY TO ATTEMPT THE INFECTION FROM SPREADING FROM THIS TOOTH FURTHER INTO THE NERVES AND BONE, IF IT IS AN INFECTED TOOTH, IS TO REMOVE THE TOOTH.

It is my opinion based on all of your posts that your BF has several dental issues going on at one time that are causing various problems to occur all at once. It's like a symphony, once it starts the whole gang joins in.

Long term dental problems like oral infections in root canaled teeth, decayed teeth, periodontal disease, poorly extracted teeth... these are all contributing factors to TN. So the longer the dental problems go on, the more likely he is to end up with some form of neuralgia.

On top of this, the amount of antibiotics and pain meds that he has been on has definitely screwed up his immune system and he is in a toxic state. This will cause any problem to become exacerbated.

I may have mentioned this before or perhaps he's already had this ....... he needs to have a comprehensive oral exam and full mouth series of x-rays along with a panoramic x-ray. All of his dental findings need to be evaluated, a comprehensive treatment plan needs to be established and the dental work needs to be done. It is not beneficial to just treat what is hurting at the time if there are other problems brewing. Again... think about that symphony......

I hope what I have offered you makes sense and he gets the help and relief he needs.

Bryanna
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply. They did not mention that 18 was near the sinus. That was what at one point they thought it was when they thought the pain was coming from the upper wisdom tooth extraction, but the dental surgeon ruled it out. We went back to the regular dentist today since we could not wait to get this fixed since it is so bad. He did more xrays and said that the tooth is infected and sitting on a nerve and thought a root canal would fix it. He started the root canal today and cleaned it out i guess. Will insert post on next appointment. He also mentioned the molar next to it needs to be removed, but that will be done at a later time.

We have done a full oral exam with this dentist and have been getting all of the problems fixed. Unfortunately its all done one at a time. This issue started after all the work was already happening. In fact this tooth had a large filling done within the last 6 months. I don't know when exactly because he has had multiple fillings. Do you think the root canal will at least stop the excruciating pain he has been having for now? On our next appointment we can maybe ask for xrays and when it shows as still infected ask him to take it out. Our main concern is not being able to function or sleep due to the pain. It's been the worst 5 days of my life and it's not even my pain. Just watching what he is going through and not knowing what to do.
dnd1980 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote